Remembering Chloe

When she was first diagnosed with CHF we were advised to avoid placing Chloe under any unnecessary stress. So the only grooming
she got was a bath, a light trim and brushing from us.

Chloe was 9 years old on June 26, 2010. We adopted her on March 15, 2003 when she was about 21 months old. All her life to that time, was spent in a breeder's cage. We were pleased to give her a new life of freedom in a real home. She never got over her fear of strangers and she never became an active, playful dog but she did become a major member of our household. 
In February of 2009, Chloe began coughing some. I thought it was because of her going outside in the cold, then coming back into the warm  house. In March she was still coughing and she had begun gagging a little and panting while at rest. I began studying those symptoms on the Internet and they pointed to possible dog CHF. On the morning of March 14, 2009, we were alarmed at her sudden weakness, coughing, gagging and panting. I called our Veterinarian and described the symptoms. We made a quick trip to the Vet's office for an examination.
The next 18 months were difficult for Chloe and us. She was never left alone. Peggy or I was always with her. Chloe visited the Vet's office when necessary and she was kept on a strict daily
schedule of furosemide and enalapril. We knew that CHF is always fatal but we determined to keep Chloe as long as possible.  We thought we were winning the battle and could defy the odds until ... one day both her rear legs became paralyzed.  She was so pitiful trying to drag herself from room to room. She had gained weight and at 40 pounds, we couldn't give her a lot of help. We knew that her situation was hopeless.

Finally, on Saturday October 2, 2010, I made an emergency call to a local animal hospital and made an appointment to put our poor suffering Chloe to sleep that afternoon. After 18 months of fighting CHF, she breathed her last at 2:15 PM. At last, she was free from pain and suffering and our real pain had just begun.

Chloe, sharing her bed with Daisy.

Daisy saw me leave with Chloe on that last ride but Daisy knew that I didn't bring Chloe back home. Five days later, Daisy waits for hours on our back step, waiting for Chloe's return.

From all of us:

BACKWARD, turn backward, O Time, in your flight,
and Chloe please come be my doggy tonight.

Come from the silence so long and so deep;-
Never hereafter to wake or to weep;-

I with strong yearning and passionate pain,
Long I to-night for your presence again.

BACKWARD, turn backward, O Time, in your flight,
and Chloe please come be my doggy tonight.

Adapted and edited from:
Rock Me to Sleep
by Elizabeth (Akers) Allen.

Goodbye Chloe. We'll always love you.
Two of my favorite pictures: In the first few days of her freedom, Chloe sneaked into the bedroom and took my wife's slippers. I'm not sure how my wife felt about that but I was very pleased. This indicated that she would overcome her life of confinement and become a normal dog.  In one picture she's standing on a plastic box which I placed by the door for her to stand on and look out the window.

Chloe became paralyzed in both her hind legs on October 1, 2010.  There was no
hope that she could recover. She went sleep to October 2, at 2:15 PM. She lived
18 months with CHF. During that time she was never left alone. We did everything
we could to prolong her life. Goodbye Chloe. You are missed.

A victim of Congestive Heart Failure (CHF). Chloe was a 9 year old
Scottish Terrier who belonged to Doug and Peggy Dickens.
Page 05.
Page 05.
October 5, 2010